Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Herb Garden

I was on my way home from work when I stopped in Zellars to look at garden supplies. Now that I have acquired some free time, since the BF is south of the border I am looking at new projects. Yesterday I had a list of ingredients I needed for a recipe found in Veganomicon, Pineapple Quinoa Sir-fry. It called for Basil and Mint. So while wandering the aisle at a local grocery store on commercial drive, it dawned on me I could have a little garden outside and I wouldn't have to go looking for these herbs and pay $1.50 for a tiny not so fresh bunch. So this is what brought me into Zellers today --- looking for a large square pot to purchase. As I walked down the aisles I came across the fitness section, and I saw this....



Now I find it pretty funny that this is an actually product sold to loose weight. I quickly took a photo and sent it to a friend who once a week walks around the seawall with another friend. I imagined the 2 friends walking around the seawall in this outfit together, and giggled.


I then moved onto the garden section which was just behind it.


I have to admit I do not have a green thumb. I have had a few house plants, one which has lasted a few years, and 2 recently that has unfortunately died. So herb gardens are something totally new to me. Now when BF was around he started a small herb garden last summer, but when the winter came it was forgotten. Looking at the pot outside, it looks as if the parsley is still alive, so I'll re-plant it with the other herbs. I never did end up getting anything today, I will wait until the weekend to visit Home-Depot, or better yet a local garden store. Nevertheless, I will have a small herb garden started this year. And since a lot of recipes ask for fresh herds, it will save me a trip and some money.


And by the way... the Pineapple Quinoa Stir-fry turned out awesome!! It was a great way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.

1 comment: